TotalProtect’s 5 Major Moving Tips
According to the Employee Relations Council, moving is the third most stressful life event. Let’s think positively though because moving also means you are that much closer to a new home where new memories will be made. Here are our top five tips to get you through the stress of moving day and onto new beginnings!
- Move on a weekday when banks, utilities and government offices are open. There will also be less traffic during the week and moving companies often offer lower rates. Although moving during the week may be difficult, plan ahead to ensure you can get a few days off from work. Move on a Monday, if possible, so you can pack over the weekend and spend Monday moving into your new home.
- Get organized and make a plan before you start packing. Create a simple inventory system to help you keep track of what is inside of each box. Write a specific description on each box and in your notes. For example, yellow plates, white bowls and floral platter is better than saying “kitchen misc.” Although it may take longer initially, it will save you time and stress when unpacking in your new home.
- Take advantage of wardrobe boxes. It may seem unnecessary when packing your clothing, but we assure you it will save an exorbitant amount of time when you’re filling up your new closet. Wardrobe boxes allow you to keep everything on their original hangers which not only keeps your clothing intact but you don’t have to rehang everything. You can also use the bottom of your wardrobe box for shoes and accessories, that way everything that belongs in your closet stays together.
- Color coordinating your boxes may seem like overkill, but we promise you won’t regret it. This tip goes along with #2, in that it will make your move less stressful. To start, designate a color for each area of your home, for instance blue for the kitchen, red for the living room, purple for the bathroom and yellow for the office. Once you’ve recorded the colors, place stickers on the corresponding boxes. When you arrive at your new home on moving day, color code the door to each room to help movers place boxes where they need to go.
- Consolidate before you pack. Now is the perfect time to organize what you want to donate, toss and recycle. Cleaning products and detergents can sometimes be difficult to pack so decide in advance what you want to take and make sure you’re not packing any expired products.
Having a plan in place before you begin the intimidating task of packing and moving will make the process easier. Are you prepared for your upcoming move?
The information in this article is intended to provide guidance on the proper maintenance and care of systems and appliances in the home. Not all of the topics mentioned are covered by our home warranty or maintenance plans. Please review your home warranty contract carefully to understand your coverage.