Gutter clogs can be problematic
There are many aspects of a home’s exterior that can be damaged without proper maintenance. This is something that you will likely address in many ways over the course of owning a home. One part of the home that needs regular maintenance is the gutters, and not taking full advantage of your resources can cost you a lot of money and stress down the road.
How gutters get clogged
There are many ways that your gutters can end up getting clogged, so it is important to remember that this is something that will be common, and not necessarily your fault.
- Precipitation washes items into gutters – This may be the most common way that gutters get filled with debris. Rain can wash leaves, sticks and other items that fell on the roof right in the gutters, preventing water from flowing to the ground.
- Wind plays a role – Windy days, especially during the fall, can cause junk to fall into the gutters, as well. This can cause further issues, especially if left unattended.
Dealing with clogged gutters
Having gutters means you need to keep tabs on how they are functioning throughout the year. Fixtures that aren’t performing well can cause you many headaches, so getting them cleared is important.
- Clear gutters regularly – Gutters should be cleared multiple times a year, as needed. Keeping an eye on the buildup in these fixtures is important, and getting everything out is a great way to prevent damage to the home.
- Have tools to manage issues – It is important to have a sturdy ladder and a person to foot it when clearing these items. Using work gloves is also a good idea. The process can be dangerous, so taking it slow is recommended.
- Ask a professional for help – If you are not confident in doing the job yourself, or you don’t have the proper tools to make it work, it may be smart to check with a professional who has experience with this job. This can be the safer solution, and they may get the job done more thoroughly.
Neglected gutters pose major risks
If you don’t stay on top of your gutter maintenance, you could be opening yourself up to many issues down the line. This is important to note, as you may be saving significant time and resources by clearing these objects.
- Rotting of home’s exterior – A major problem with clogged gutters is that the water will build up and eventually start to wear on the home. This happens when water cannot get to the ground, and eventually overflows and soaks into the wood near the roof. This is expensive to fix, and can be a really frustrating thing for you in the future, especially as the repair bills may be high.
- Sidewalk/foundation issues – Another pitfall is that the water that comes down improperly can pool near the home. This can do a couple things. First, it can wear on the home’s foundation, as it should be pushed away instead of sitting and eroding the property. Another issue is the sidewalks around the home, which can become icy during the cold weather. Ice also may play a role in further foundation damage, as it can widen already-existing cracks.
Taking care of necessary home maintenance can put your mind at ease and allow your home to last a long healthy life. At the same time, unforeseen issues can always occur. When considering ways to further protect the home, examining home service plan options could be a great idea.
The information in this article is intended to provide guidance on the proper maintenance and care of systems and appliances in the home. Not all of the topics mentioned are covered by our home warranty or maintenance plans. Please review your home warranty contract carefully to understand your coverage.